We have you covered for all your Earth Day Reading and Writing Tasks!
Earth Day is the 22nd June and we make a big deal of this day, We also make a big deal of the strategies we decide on everyday to help heal our planet. We feel that it is our responsibility as caretakers of our planet to make sure we leave it in a better place for future generations.
It is easy to feel overwhelmed and think – but what can I do to make a difference?
Well, we all need to do the little things to make the big things happen. It is always a surprise to me what our kids feel and think about what we are doing to our planet and the resources we have taken from it. They have great ideas about the processes we have in place or not have in place to stop pollution and degradation of our planet. We just need to listen to them.
We have worked hard on putting together some Earth Day Reading and Writing Tasks for you to use to get this thinking process started.
Earth Day – Reading and Writing K-1 (88 pages)
- This pack is aligned to the USA CCSS and Aus Curriculum
- Please download the preview to see pictures of what is contained in this pack.
- Word Wall – colour copy and display. As a grade add to this throughout the unit.
- Students can see the words and use them in writing and in extending vocabulary tasks.
- Emergent Reader – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Use the colour cover and b/w. You may copy back to back and staple the pages together. As the children read the text, add colour to the pictures. Use to reread each day.
- 3Rs Jack Johnson – the lyrics are here to read on a poster. Record how the song makes you feel and then write your own verse to share]
- I love my planet because… two formats. One allows the students to add their own picture
- My Earth – ways I can save my home … two formats. One allows the students to add their own picture
- Use the tub pictures to record what you can Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- What can be recycled? Add your thoughts in the circles and discuss with others
- Interactive Notebook page for – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Mind Map for Reuse, Recycle
- Collage of items for Recycling
- Persuasive Plan for the need to recycle, plus writing page
- Persuasive Plan for we need to plant more trees, plus writing page
- Earth Day – How can we promote this?
- Earth Day – My Footprint
- Yellow and Black Hat thinking for compost
- Earth Day – Acrostic Poem
- Earth Day – Wordfind
- Fact and Opinion – 20 cards to sort under these headings
- Matching and Sorting Tasks
- Craftivity – make a mobile
Earth Day – PowerPoint and Tasks (16 pages)
This pack includes a PowerPoint to share with your grade. There are facts to discuss and prompts to complete. Included are templates for recording answers and completing tasks.
- Which countries celebrate Earth Day?
- Facts about the men behind Earth Day
- What does the Earth Day Flag look like?
- How can we save our Earth?
- What is your plan of action for saving energy and resources for future generations?