Why teach Genius Hour in your classroom?
Genius Hour, also known as 20% Time or Passion Projects, is a student-centred approach to learning that allows students to explore their interests and passions in a self-directed manner. Here are some reasons why you should consider teaching Genius Hour in your classroom:
Here are five reasons why you should teach Genius Hour in your classroom
- Encourages Creativity and Innovation: Genius Hour allows students to think creatively and come up with innovative solutions to real-world problems. This helps them to develop critical thinking skills and to become better problem solvers.
- Fosters Autonomy and Self-Direction: Genius Hour is a student-driven learning experience, where students are in charge of their own learning. This helps to promote autonomy and self-direction, which are important skills for success in any field.
- Builds Intrinsic Motivation: When students are able to work on something they are passionate about, they are more likely to be engaged and motivated to learn. Genius Hour helps to build intrinsic motivation, which is important for lifelong learning.
- Supports Cross-Curricular Learning: Genius Hour is used to support learning across multiple subject areas. For example, a student interested in robotics might use their Genius Hour project to explore concepts in science, engineering, and math.
- Develops 21st-Century Skills: Genius Hour helps to develop a range of 21st-century skills, such as communication, collaboration, and digital literacy. These are essential skills for success in today’s fast-paced, technology-driven world.
These are all great reasons why you should teach Genius Hour in your classroom!
Genius Hour is a powerful learning experience that can help to engage students, develop important skills, and promote lifelong learning. By incorporating Genius Hour into your classroom, you can create a more student-centred and engaging learning environment.
How to get started…
We have developed a resource that can start you off. This includes a PowerPoint to share with your students that explains what Genuis Hour is and how to navigate your way through a project.
It is available on our website – click here
or in our store on TpT – click here